Domestic Partnerships Attorney in East Islip, NY
Are you in a domestic partnership, unmarried, and considering marriage with your partner? Are you looking for a Domestic Partnerships Attorney in East Islip, NY, to help you with your domestic union?
We have the experience to make your marriage legal, simple and affordable. Call for a private consultation to see what we can do for you. There’s nothing we can’t accomplish together. Let our East Islip, NY, Domestic Partnerships Lawyers at Donato Law help you legally bind your relationship.
Why Do I Need a Domestic Partnerships Attorney in East Islip, NY?
You may ask yourself why you need a Domestic Partnerships Attorney in East Islip, NY. The answer is that the domestic partnership laws in New York State can be complex and confusing. You will want a lawyer who understands these laws to guide you through the process. An attorney can also ensure that you fully understand the legal implications of your decisions for the rest of your life.
When choosing a lawyer, however, you want to work with someone you feel is professional and trustworthy. You want someone who will make you feel comfortable enough to discuss your situation openly and be willing to listen to your questions to help you make the best decisions for yourself and your family.
To that end, we’ve compiled a list of qualities that we think are essential for choosing an effective lawyer:
- Has experience with domestic partnerships
Find an experienced attorney specializing in domestic partnerships. When you go to Donato Law, you can speak with someone confident with the process and make the process easy for you. We have years of experience working with clients on domestic partnerships, and we know exactly what we need to do to help you get the legal recognition of your relationship.
A good Domestic Partnerships Lawyer in East Islip, NY, should be compassionate, and Donato Law has that quality. We will listen to you with attention and care and answer all your questions. You can tell that our staff wants the best for our clients. We always look out for them and offer the best legal advice possible.
When trying to find a Domestic Partnership Attorney in East Islip, NY, it’s essential to look for one who is trustworthy and has your best interests at heart. This is why we recommend contacting Donato Law.
We’re not just talking about the law firm and legal advice here. We’re talking about people. Our job is to help you ensure that what you’re writing down in the paperwork is precisely what you want it to say and it’s legally binding and enforceable.
We work with all kinds of relationships, from same sex marriage, domestic partnership agreements, prenuptial agreements, and other legal services. We also handle divorce cases, including contested and uncontested divorces, and have a proven track record of success in this area.
Look no further than our team at Donato Law for all your Family Law needs. Contact us today for a free consultation on your legal rights by calling or using the chatbox on the lower right of our website.
Call our domestic partnership attorney in Suffolk County NY today or send us a message to know more about our domestic partnerships services.
What is a Domestic Partnership?
“Domestic partnership” is a legal relationship allowed by State and City of New York laws for couples with a committed and close personal relationship, according to the state of New York. The Domestic Partnership Law recognizes lesbian, gay, and other non-traditional couples as part of the diversity of family structures. As a result, New York law accepts committed relationships between individuals who do not want to get married.
The partnership agreement covers various topics, including child custody, child support, asset division, shared property ownership, and joint bank accounts.
New York Domestic Partnership
New York State provides the following guidelines for forming domestic partnerships:
- You and your partner must be New York City residents. If one or both of you are not New York City residents, one of you must be employed by the city.
- Both you and your partner must be over the age of 18.
- When applying for a certificate, neither you nor your partner may be legally married or in another domestic partnership.
- You and your partner should live together and be in a committed relationship. On the domestic partnership application, you must list the same residential address.
When separating, domestic partnership-dissolving couples must consider many unique legal issues, including:
- Dividing real estate or assets in such a way that the parties avoid adverse tax consequences
- Setting up and protecting relationships between parents and children
- The distribution of pension assets
- Making support arrangements that account for the Internal Revenue Service’s disparate treatment of same-sex couples.
Call our domestic partnerships lawyers in Suffolk County NY today or send us a message to know more about our services.
What Are Domestic Partners’ Rights?
Couples who register as domestic partners receive rights they would not otherwise have. The rights are determined by the county in which the couple registered. These are the following rights if the couple registered in New York City:
- Family leaves. City employees’ domestic partners are eligible for bereavement and childcare leave.
- Prison visitation. Domestic partners have the right to visit their partners in a city correctional or juvenile detention facility.
- Hospital visitation. Domestic partners have the right to visit New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation facilities.
- NYC housing privileges. Domestic partners are family members under New York City Housing Authority rules.
- Rights to tenancy and occupancy. Domestic partners may qualify as family members entitled to succession to tenancy or occupancy rights under the Department of Housing Preservation and Development rules.
- Health advantages. Domestic partners are eligible for the City of New York’s health benefits.
Contact a seasoned New York domestic partnership lawyer to learn more about domestic partners’ rights and benefits.
NYC Domestic Partnership versus Marriage
Domestic partners continue to have children, live together, and may even share assets even though unmarried. Additionally, domestic partners receive some, but not all, benefits married couples receive, as marriages generally include more rights and advantages than domestic partnerships.
Unlike married couples, domestic partners do not receive the following benefits:
- State income tax benefits
- Spousal privilege and confidential marital communication
- The ability to purchase insurance policies for the other spouse
- The inheritance or life insurance rights without a testamentary bequest
- General workers’ compensation death benefits (except if the deceased domestic partner was killed on September 11)
- The right to rely on equitable estoppel to assert parental rights
- The right to file a claim for wrongful death
- The right to bring an action for the property division under marriage law
- The ability to file a lawsuit based on an implied contract for personal services
- The privileges accorded to marital residences
- The right to pursue a loss of consortium claim
Call our Domestic Partnerships Attorney in East Islip, NY, Now!
The law is complicated enough. That is why you need the experience and professionalism of a Domestic Partnerships Attorney in East Islip, NY, on your side when dealing with family law or related legal issues. Don’t make it worse for yourself by wasting time and energy dealing with such matters without the proper legal representation.
Whatever your situation, now is the time to take action. Contact our law office today to schedule a consultation and start building a solid legal team around you with our legal service.